Meta Reading Group
The Meta Reading Group focuses on meta-philosophical topics such as the philosophy of philosophy, meta-epistemology, meta-philosophy of language, meta-ethics, meta-metaphysics, and so on. The group reads both recent work (including sometimes work in progress) and "classical" texts. Everyone is welcome—nay, encouraged—to attend.
Reading for 2013-14
This year the group will begin by reading a new collection by Huw Price and commentators:
- Huw Price et al. (2013) Expressivism, Pragmatism and Representationalism Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Towards the end of the first semester, this will give way to:
- Paul Horwich (2012) Wittgenstein’s Metaphilosophy Oxford: Oxford University Press
Suggestions for other readings are always welcome!
- Wilfrid Sellars, selected papers.
- Saul Kripke (1980) Naming and Necessity Oxford: Basil Blackwell Ltd.
- Frank Jackson (2000) From Metaphysics to Ethics: A Defence of Conceptual Analysis Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- John MacFarlane (in progress) Assessment Sensitivity: Relative Truth and Its Applications.
- Allan Gibbard (then in progress) Thoughts and Oughts (an ancestor of Meaning and Normativity Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012).