Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group
Welcome to the webpage of the Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group, an assortment of philosophers (aspiring and established), friends, and academics. Our collective goal is to raise awareness of the many disputes and debacles that currently surround the status of women and minorities in academic philosophy, and to provide support for female faculty and postgraduates. Through a variety of events and initiatives, we hope to contribute to creating an academic culture of intellectual openness and fairness in which all philosophical talent, irrespective of gender, can thrive and flourish at Edinburgh and beyond.
From Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy (524 AD)
We support the following wider goals:
- increase visibility of female faculty at the organisation and management level
- ensure broader equality in numbers of female speakers at workshops, seminars and conferences
- encourage recognition of, and student exposure to, internationally acclaimed female philosophers through invitation to named lectures
- ensure fair representation of women philosophers on syllabi
- raise awareness of implicit gender bias
- provide tutors with skills for ensuring intellectual fairness in tutorials
- provide a series of events and initiatives that promote gender equality, creating an academic culture in which philosophical talent thrives
If you wish to be kept in the loop about informal meetings, and other relevant notices of interest, or if you wish to raise an issue for discussion or consideration by the group, please subscribe to our mailing list by contacting one of our members (details listed below).
We warmly welcome new members and friends from postgraduate programmes and faculty. If you wish to be kept informed about our events, or if you wish to raise an issue for discussion by the group, please contact Maria, Nicole or Pam.
Forthcoming EWiP events are displayed in the dynamic Upcoming Events section below when available on the Philosophy events feed.
06 Dec 2011, 16:30 - 18:30, Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh, 11 Bristo Place, Edinburgh, EH1 1EZ.
- The Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group hosted a whisky tasting evening at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh.
30 May 2011, 10:30 - 17:00, Dugald Stewart Building (Room 1.17).
- The Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group hosted a workshop titled "Pornography and Objectification; Aesthetics and the Erotic".
21 January 2011 12:30 - 18:30 Conference Room (Room G.04), David Hume Tower.
- The Edinburgh Women in Philosophy Group hosted the EWPG Workshop 2010/11 to explore some of the philosophical issues surrounding the underrepresentation of women in professional philosophy.
19 January 2011 13.00 - 14.00 Professional Development Seminar, Dugald Stewart Building (Room 3.01)
- Roundtable Discussion on "Academia and the Family" to explore and begin to address difficulties for combining philosophical research with having a family.
25 November 2010, 14:30 - 16:00, Room 1.17 DSB. Organisers Liz Ellis and Nicole Hall-Elfick.
- Women in Philosophy "Afternoon Tea" - Andy Clark shared, as an in memoriam to Susan Hurley, Professor Hurley's reflections on issues facing women in philosophy. Holly Branigan offered a picture of how women are doing psychology, which we were able to compare with philosophy and we were offered anecdotes and reflections from Emily Brady and Natalie Gold, as well as reflections on pedagogical approaches from Alasdair Richmond.
3 November 2009, 14:00 - 15:30, Middle Reading Room, Teviot Row House.
- Women in Philosophy Postgraduate Seminar - the purpose of the seminar was to open discussion about the challenges facing women in academic philosophy, featuring contributions from Clare Mac Cumhaill, Elinor Mason, Duncan Pritchard, Pauline Phemister, and Jesper Kallestrup.
News and Useful Links:
- What’s it like to be a Woman in Philosophy?
- Feminist Philosophers
- Leiter Reports: Issues in the Profession
- Women in Philosophy Taskforce
- Women in Philosophy Taskforce: Research and Reports
- Society for Women in Philosophy UK
- International Association of Women Philosophers
- International Network of Women Philosophers